I know I must sound like a broken record, but if you feel there is something missing in ZenMagick, please:
- Help out and write the missing bit yourself and let me know where I can refer to the new plugin
- Consider improving the wiki
- Send me a finished (HTML/CSS) design for an alternative admin app
- If nothing else works, donate!
I guess I have to accept the fact that while I am away from home my updates will not be on time…
The time since my last update was filled with finishing the theme migration I was working on. The final time (just on the theme) was not too bad – perhaps 6 hours. However, I spend a lot more on fixing regressions I found on the way.
Actually, not all the bits I fixed were regressions – I also found some things that must have been broken for quite some time!
This week I finished a first draft of the vBulletin integration plugin – it’s not ready to publish, because it needs some more testing and also contains some specific code to match the code changes made on the vBulletin side to sync users both ways.
I would expect that 0.9.7. should take at least another week or more. I am aiming at releasing next week, though. It is pretty stable and I’d rather have a few more minor releases than waiting much longer [in particular since I know a few people are waiting for the release...]
I have started cleaning up domains/subdomains in my realm to get ready to move my ISP.
Right now this blog, for example, is hosted in Germany. While this was convenient for a long time it is just not that practical any more.
There is the chance of some outages but if anyone experiences longer downtime, please let me know.
Another week (well, not quite from my last update, but I thought I’d better get back on track…) in ZenMagick land and without fixing regressions I haven’t done anything on ZenMagick itself.
It’s good to have some paid work for a change and recently things have been getting better a bit, so I can’t complain.
The theme migration is progressing quite well and the work has turned up a few more bugs in the current code, so the payoff is twofold
Once the migration is complete we’ll hopefully have a proper release within a couple weeks. After that, there is more work on integrating vBulletin with ZenMagick. I am still not quite sure about how much of that can be released under the GPL, but at least the ZenMagick side should be good to release!
I have decided that the integration of Savant will have to wait until the next release. There is already enough new stuff in 0.9.7. Things are almost ready to go, though. I finally managed to get things working with a vanilla Savant version, although I wrote another compress script to pack everything into a single file, same as for creole, simpletest and other 3rd part APIs that are used in ZenMagick and plugins.
The main reason to wait is actually that most view classes need to change (some cleanup is coming up anyway, though) and that’s something I do not have the time for right now.
Well, I am late again for my update. My excuse for this week is that we’ve travelled. Another reason is that not a lot happened.
Luckily for me (and ZenMagick), I do have paid work from time to time. Right now I am working on upgrading a 0.9.4+ installation to 0.9.6+ (aka 0.9.7RC1). I am really thankful to have clients that are brave enough to trust me with new versions enough to use them in production (after some thorough testing, of course).
It’s a bit of a challenge in that there is so much code I’ve almost forgotten since I’ve spend a lot of time on the new code. I’ve had an even harder time working on an 0.9.0 installation a couple weeks ago and that was definitely painful! Luckily it was a small job and interesting enough to make it worthwhile.
Right now I’ll concentrate on my professional work and hopefully make good use of that time to squash as many bugs and regressions in the current code as possible. I would expect that pretty soon after the migration is complete and tested, a high quality 0.9.7 release will be available.
As usual, it is possible to use the code in subversion to try the most current code. I won’t give any guarantees, but at least I try to only check in working code (more or less, that is)